Get Ready to Move
First Home Buyers Guide from Austral Mortgage
Step 9: Get Ready to Move
Now that all the formalities are almost complete, you’re about to move - and this is always a reminder of whether you're a minimalist or a hoarder!
Regardless of whether you’re upsizing or downsizing, moving home can be hectic so it pays to plan in advance, and if you can round up a few friends to help out, even better.
In addition to packing your life into boxes, you also need to think about finalising your bills and contacting your service providers. Write a list of people / institutions you have to alert about your new home address.
You can get your mail redirected easily by filling in a form at your local post office.
Importantly, you also have to disconnect your utilities or ask the providers if you can carry any ongoing contracts to your new address.
Often this is a great time for a clean out, but don't forget to check your options with regard to rubbish. Illegal dumping carries big fines.
... And if you have the time to be organised with your packing, remember that it does make life easier at the other end.
- Get quotes from removalists and book the one most suited to your needs.
- Prepare a floor plan of your new house and label or number rooms for boxes.
- Keep your jewellery, valuables and any special items with you rather than handing them over to the removalist.
- Arrange carpet cleaning for your new home before moving in
- And don’t forget about your pets….
First Home Buyers Guide - Moving Checklist
- Newspaper / Magazines
- Bread / Milk
- Carpet cleaning
- House & Contents Insurance
- Transit insurance if using a removalist
- Final inspection and hand over your keys to the agent
- For you utilities to be reconnected in your new home
Address Book - don't forget to tell people!
- Business Associates
- Tax Office
- Electoral Commission